Fenced by the Himalayas, Shivalik Hills, river Ganges and Yamuna, the valley has always been a place of tourist attraction in the Uttrakhand state. There are many beautiful places and major attractions to visit in the city. Also, there are several historical places, art galleries, hotels, restaurants and shopping centers that make Dehradun a perfect tourist destination.
The city has much more to offer as it is near to some lovely and worth visiting scenic hill stations. Your journey would be complete if you also explore the beauty of nearby places. There are a number of cool places around like Nainital, Haridwar, Tehri, Rishikesh, Dhanaulti, Chamba and Chakrata.
Nearby Places & Attractions
- Nainital: Also known as the Lake District of Uttrakhand, it is headquarters of Nainital district in the Kumaon foothills of the outer Himalayas. It is one of the most famous hill stations of in the world and is known for its scenic natural splendour and beauty. The Naini Jheel is one of the prominent lakes in Nainital. It glitters like a jewel and mesmerise people with its shining beauty.
- Haridwar: Famous as the gateway to four pilgrimages of the Uttrakhand state, Haridwar is known as one of the seven holiest places of Hindus. The famous Kumbha Mela is celebrated every 12 years here, during which millions of pilgrims, devotees, and tourists perform bathing on the banks of the river Ganges to wash away their sins. Brahma Kund is located at Har ki Pauri and is considered to be the most sacred ghat of Haridwar.
- Tehri: Tehri is situated 104 kms from Dehradun. The district has many options for tourists to spend their leisure. It is a home to many religious places. Some of the popular tracking route are Mahasar taal, Sehstra talal and Khatling glacier. Some of the famous tourist spots in Tehri are Kanatal, Chandravadni, Koonjapuri, Panwali Kantha, Khatling Glacier, Sehstra Taal, Khait Parvat, Surkanda Devi and Maithiyana Devi.
- Rishikesh: The holy has been emerged as the best place for those who love and enjoy adventure. Full of hill stations, resorts, temples, rivers, natural beauties, places of worship and ashrams, Rishikesh has become a popular spot for water rafting enthusiasts and is world famous for hiking and backpacking. Fenced by Tehri Garhwal and Pauri Garhwal, it is located in the foothills of the Himalaya and attracts thousands of pilgrims and tourists from across the globe.
- Dhanaulti: The hill station situated 24 km from Mussoorie and 29 km from Chamba. It is situated between the two hill stations. Dhanaulti has emerged a perfect travel destination having several places worth a visit with the recently developed ECO-Park being the main attraction of the hill station. Surkanda Devi Mandir is another attraction nearby famous for its Ganga Dasahra fair in autumn. Aaloo Khet is a popular sunrise view point. It gives an amazing and mesmerizing view of the sunrise.
- Chakrata: It is situated approx 98 km from Dehradun between the Tons and Yamuna rivers. Chakrata is a perfect destination for trekkers, nature lovers and adventure lovers. It is known for its serene environs and pollution-free atmosphere.
Also check out the famous temples and places in the valley for more excitement to your visit:
Here you would find the ancient temples that the tourists come to the place with great belief to worship and take a glimpse of. There is huge faith in the idols kept in these temples and it is believed to be from the ancient times of Ramayana and Mahabharata.
These comprise of the various tourists spots in the valley that adds to the fun and excitement of the place. These include the river water lake and parks of Sahastradhara and Malsi Deer Park. The Mussoorie hill station and the popular market place like Paltan Bazaar will really make your day!